Without adult volunteer leaders to advise and mentor our youth, none of the positive 4-H youth development programs can move forward.
As a volunteer I consider you a 4-H Staff member. Therefore, it is my job to make sure you are trained, informed and equipped to be successful in 4-H. There are some universal truths required for all leaders to be successful, they are:
- A clear, defined role with instructions – You have so much freedom, but there are some essential components to 4-H that make it unique. I will teach you what these are.
- Training; short, concise, specific tasks outlined and broken up into short segments – I will teach you everything you need to know in order to feel comfortable administering over a club.
- Access to information and advice – I will show you where you can go to get curriculum and ideas. I am also just a phone call or email away if you have any questions.
- Recognition, awards – What you do is so vital and you deserve to be recognized for it!
I promise to work my guts out to ensure you feel prepared and comfortable as a member of the our 4-H Staff.
The Heart of 4-H!
The greatness of 4-H is found within the power that volunteers and parents have to change the lives of youth. You will really see kids change their lives for the better in your service. 4-H volunteer leaders and parents work with and support youth in their development of various skills, enabling them to reach their fullest potential and lead productive lives. A volunteer once described her volunteering like this: “I’m finding that the 4-H philosophies go hand in hand with my own, and I wish I’d started this years ago.”
How Do I Volunteer?
Contact me [Paul Hill] or my Office Staff [phone: 435-634-5706] to find out what clubs and projects are going in your neighborhood. Let us know what your interests are and what areas of expertise you have to share with youth in your area. If you are interested in forming a club and/or becoming a Leader in 4-H, check out the Volunteer Leader Application Packet. No previous experience is necessary, just the desire to have fun and learn together as a club.
Online Volunteer Training
4-H Volunteer e-Learning Course - This resource is a wonderful set of interactive, online training modules that have been designed to help potential 4-H volunteers, new, current, and re-entering volunteers, and others who want to learn about 4-H. Those who take advantage of this resource will gain a better understanding of the 4-H Youth Development Program and will be better prepared to work with youth.
- 4-H is FUN and AWESOME!
- Most people volunteer for 4-H because they enjoy working with kids.
- To make a positive contribution to youth.
- So that a young person’s future can be shaped in the positive environment of 4-H, recognizing that young people are the future.
- To obtain training from USU Extension in youth and leadership development.
- For your personal development in skill areas pertaining to projects, leadership, teaching, and organization.
A Parent’s Role in 4-H
Your child needs your encouragement to get them started in 4-H and to keep them involved in the program through their teen years. You can help if you:
- Share - Take interest, look, listen and offer suggestions, but avoid the temptation to “take over” and do things yourself.
- Prepare - Help your child value having their projects, duties, and presentations done right and on time.
- Be There - Parents are part of 4-H, too. You are welcome and very needed. Lend a hand where you can. Volunteer!
- Care - Support your child’s participation and abide by the policies set by the 4-H Youth Development Program.